3 Day Video Production Course - Beginners
Learn video production and filmmaking practical fundamentals in 3 days. Camera operating, framing, sound, lighting & editing.
What you’ll learn
- Get up to speed with industry terminology and lingo
- Understand the whole post production procedure
- Learn the fundamentals of lighting and lighting subjects
- Experience a workshop that will get you well equipped and ready to tackle the industry
- Gain the fundamentals of universal camera operations and features
- Learn the importance of audio and how it affects your production
- 12 Months access to our support forums
- 20% off on all hires from our camera rental partners
- 1x one-on-one 30 minute session with our CEO on how to make a living from this course
- Practise footage to edit after your course
- We’ll review and comment/support your next 5 videos you create after your course
- Camera Kit List – Everything you’ll need to get started
Are you more than a little curious about the process of making videos? Do you need to start from the beginning, but wish to make an immediate impact on your company or clients? The 3 Day Film School course is for you.
In this course you will learn how to plan a project, pull a crew together, write a script and storyboard, operate professional equipment, and finally edit and execute your video like a pro.
After three amazing days in Film School Sydney you will have the capability to create impactful video content from start to finish.
Remember: you can take up any one of our courses in every state across Australia. If a course near you isn’t available, please fill in the “Interested in this course” form on this page and we will get in contact with you to ensure we can provide something suitable.
What to expect
Day 1: Pre-Production & Sound Recording
- Day one begins with an induction. You will learn a little bit about your educator for the course and each other.
- Choose one of three videos to produce for your final outcomes. As a class we will select between a music video, documentary or short film. As we learn various skills throughout the production pipeline we will be contributing towards our final video.
- Storyboards and scripts are explored, and then, together, we will start to create these documents for our movie. Alongside these we will also create a shot list and review a gear checklist.
- We will touch on other various processes than need to be completed in the pre-production process. It is here we can search for and hire talent for our video, should we need some. Students have the option to be the talent if they choose.
- Next we will go through different types of lights, lighting looks, modifications, and get hands on when we demonstrate a few lighting setups.
- After lunch you will learn about camera equipment. We will then build a rig and learn about shooting principals by operating the camera.
- Finally we will go through recording fundamentals and get hands on with boom mics and lapels mics. We will gain some tips on mixing audio in your projects.
- Tomorrow is shoot day, so we will end the day by going through some shoot prep, including the correct practices for setting up and packdown on site.
Day 2: Compile a Video
- Today is the day! We’ve learned all the skills we need to get through this, and we’re going to start by exploring all the documents we’ve prepared.
- By following the shot list, we will allocate students their roles for the scene and travel to the local location.
- At each location we will practice the proper way to set up, record and pack down, rotating roles as we go.
- After shooting is complete we will return to the classroom and check our gear in.
Day 3: Post Production
- In the morning we will discuss how the shoot went.
- Post production begins with structuring a folder on your computer and ingesting all the footage and audio we captured.
- It’s now time to open our editing software and learn the basic controls while setting up the project for editing.
- Now we learn the basics of editing before you cut your video. The teacher will supervise and guide you through this.
- After editing is finished, we finally render our completed video.
- After you render your final project you will submit it to the teacher.
- All students are encouraged to enjoy drinks and canapes to celebrate their experience. Those who pass the course will be presented a certificate.
Find a course near you:
|Day 1: Pre-Production & Filming|
|Scriptwriting and Storyboarding – MOD0004 Details||00:45:00|
|Planning Your Project – MOD0003 Details||00:45:00|
|Lighting Basics – MOD0054 Details||02:00:00|
|Lighting Basics – MOD0054 quiz||00:05:00|
|Lunch / Break Details||00:45:00|
|Operating and using Camera Gear – MOD0005 Details||02:00:00|
|Operating & Using Camera Gear – MOD0005 quiz||00:05:00|
|Fundamentals of recording sound – MOD0026 Details||00:10:00|
|Fundamental of Recording Sound – MOD0026 quiz||00:05:00|
|Mixing Audio for Video – MOD0032 Details||00:30:00|
|Day 2: Work on a pre-filmed project|
|Compile a Video – MOD0059 Details||08:00:00|
|Day 3: Post Production|
|Post Production Processes – MOD0006 Details||00:20:00|
|Video Asset Management – MOD0007 Details||00:25:00|
|Quick Cutting: Editing Basics – MOD0012 Details||01:20:00|
|Lunch / Break Details||00:45:00|
|Compile Your Project Details||00:00:00|
|Rendering Video – MOD0009 Details||00:45:00|
|Course Recap & Social Details||01:00:00|